Tuesday 22 October 2013

An Energy Crisis

As my blog looks at environmental change and the need to find an alternative approach for humankind to receive the energy they need to sustain I thought a few of the issues from this week's news were very relevant in depicting how pressing this issue is.

The Headlines this Week...


'Npower to raise energy prices by 10.4%'



This week, Npower became the third of the countries large energy supplier to raise it's gas and electricity bills. Alongside SSE and British Gas these firms have now announced price increases of between 8% and 10% and other big players such as Scottish Power, E.On and EDF are expected to follow suit with similar price increases.

This article really highlighted to me how pressing the issue of trying to find alternative energy use methods really is. Particularly when today Sir John Major announced that these increases would mean that for some this Winter a decision between having either food or electricity would have made (BBC, 2013). I don't believe that anyone should have to make that sacrifice however I also don't believe that the price freeze proposed by Ed Miliband is enough to address the energy crisis we are faced with today.


This weeks news resonated with me and made me all the more motivated to find a resolution to issues such as the energy crisis that we are faced with as a result of global environmental change. Hopefully this blog will aid me in finding some solutions in geo-engineering and renewable energy methods.

Well, let's find out ...







No comments:

Post a Comment